Monday, November 6, 2017

Mixed Drink Monday: Caramel Apple Sangria


Welcome to Monday and a new drink recipe!  I've done so many of these (this is #75!) that I feel a little lazy if I'm having a drink and NOT taking a picture of it!  Actually, we've been working through our wine stash lately (which isn't that big), but some of which dates back to 2011.  As my husband said...the wine we buy isn't the kind that gets better with age.  So why we've been hoarding it for that long, I don't know.  And it's been fine.  Maybe not as good as when we bought it but certainly still drinkable.

This drink is perfect for fall, for using up the bushels of apples I had, the ones that weren't made into sauce or fritters or dumplings, or eaten, 6 in 24 hours (that's 6 apples, not bushels, to be clear, although they were all eaten by me...).  Also, helped use up some of the apple cider I bought for the fritters AND caramel vodka I almost always have on hand (because THIS will always be my favorite cold weather drink).


But, even if you don't have most of the ingredients in the kitchen, this is still a pretty perfect fall drink.  I drank some at a Halloween party and felt almost healthy eating my apple chunks, even if they had been soaking in wine for over 24 hours.  Tastes like the best parts of fall, of being cozy, enjoying the best produce of the season (that is a criticism on pumpkins).  There is just something extra cozy about wine in the fall to me and this was a perfect use for it.  I plan to enjoy the rest of my pitcher over these cool fall nights.  Probably under a blanket with a book.  Or a husband a Netflix.  Sounds like a perfect fall night to me!

(And if you still have leftover apple cider, I have another solution for that coming on Wednesday!)


Note: I almost always make my sangria at half wine strength because I like staying awake and wine puts me to sleep...certainly feel free to adjust to your own preferences!

Caramel Apple Sangria
yield: one pitcher, at least 6 drinks?
Ingredients
-1/2 bottle of wine (take your pick, we used rosé)
-6 cups apple cider
-1 cup caramel vodka
-2-3 apples, cored and cut into chunks

Directions
Stir all ingredients together in a pitcher.  As with all sangria, the flavors are best if you make it at least 24 hours before serving!  Refrigerate until then.



Source: modified from The Wholesome Dish

No comments: